Thursday, September 20, 2012

The City of Bill Klinton Blvd and George Bush Road

Through the small squoval window, it was dark; an early nightfall at 7:30.  The landscape was dappled with an incandescent glow marking where people lived.  The landing gear emerged and we descended toward Prishtina.  I turned to the small four year old girl from Arizona next to me and remarked, "We're here!,  How exciting!"

She looked up at me, dressed in footie pajamas covered in butterflies and said, "Exciting!  Wait, where are we?"

"Kosovo," I tell her.

Jenny's mom brought her to Kosovo for two months to be with dad.  Dad is working here on a security contract and they decided to come stay for a bit.  How brave I think, for her to travel to the other side of the world with her small daughter to a remote, foreign land.  Meanwhile, I hoist the large, ventilated black bag over my shoulder, while its contents shift and snort at me.  My carry on is my own precious cargo that I have brought to this remote foreign land.  Tucker, has handled the flights well and I am certain he will be the new ambassador of goodwill to the Balkans.

We descend the plane into the cool night air and make our way through customs.  In less than fifteen minutes, I am back outside on the other side of the airport where I am greeted with a sign for "Dr. Laura Horton".  Here, they declare with certainty that Juris Doctorates are indeed doctors.  I smile and communicate as best I can with my driver.  We head toward the city and I get my first glimpse of my new home.  It is not totally unfamiliar; I am reminded somewhat of Greece, Bosnia, or Serbia.  My driver takes me on a roundabout drive through the city so I can take in the main sights.  I immediately catch glimpses of the cafe culture and the well-dressed and well-heeled young population that is prevalent in Prishtina.  We drive by the infamous giant, yellow block letters, splattered with grafitti.  The bright capital letters announce that Kosovo is "NEWBORN".

At the hotel, I see my boyfriend for the first time in a month and we reunite.  "Hey, by the way, remember that time we moved to Kosovo?!"

Over the next few days, the apartment search is on.  Everyone goes above and beyond in helping us find accommodations.  Bakim, real estate agent/pharmacist/bee-keeper/future law student,  takes us to just beyond the city to show us Prishtina's version of Central Park.  The park is a large wooded area that goes on for miles.  There are paths cris-crossing it and bikes available for rent.  Everything I learn about my new city confirms the choice to move here.  So far I have found an organic grocery, two pet supply stores, and finally, an apartment! 

I am officially a resident of Kosovo.

No comments:

Post a Comment